From social media to speech recognition, warfare to writing articles, coding to customer service – machine learning and artificial intelligence have become part and parcel of our urban lives. In the pursuit to make life smoother and more comfortable, man has tapped into the potential of AI and invented auto-driven cars, smart sensors to capture spectacular photos, and home assistant devices. Similarly, AI is taking the field of education by storm and replacing traditional methods by the minute.
Thanks to AI, the academic world has become more personalized, thus changing the way of e-learning. People can now access educational materials with just a click on their phones and laptop. Today, students don’t need to leave the warmth of their beds on winter mornings to be physically present in class. All they need is a computer and a smooth internet connection, and they are good to go. And that is not all about the transformations brought by AI in education. Read on to find how AI is changing the world of education for the better.
AI AND E-LEARNING – HOW IT IS CHANGING HOW EDUCATION?
AI is improving the experience of learning and at the same time, is extending better support for educators. Here are some of the ways AI and machine learning is supporting education and taking it to new heights.
- Early Learning – The world of education is a rat race and parents and educators are aiming at starting school life for the little ones even before they become 5. This is where AI comes in with the adaptive learning platforms like Osmofor toddlers to bring education at home for them.
- Course Materials – A decade back, students and custodians had to worry about their pockets to be able to afford education. With Augmented Intelligence in the grind, students can now look up for study course material on the internet, often free of cost or at minimal charges. Educators and IT companies like Content Technologies Inc. are joining hands to use machine learning to automate the process and serve up the next best lesson.
- Online Courses – Postsecondary providers like Udacity, Coursera, and edX are tapping into artificial intelligence to target the right students with the right courses. For example, Coursera offers free counseling sessions to students and based on the data gathered design the perfect mix of diploma courses to go with the university courses.
- Assignment Writing – Feedback systems like Grammarly, Turnitin, and Write to Learn are being powered by AI to offer better and more accurate guidance to students. There are several online perfect essay writing service brands too that are using machine learning to provide customized solutions that reflect the literary voice of the students. Students can also use test prep tools likeQuizlet and Magoosh for personalized question papers designed to target the areas that a student is weak in.
- Exploration – Thanks to AI becoming a norm in schools and universities, more kids are getting the opportunity to learn in an environment supported by augmented and virtual reality. Since the tech era is all about machines, the close association with gadgets and VR will only help them survive in this fast-changing world. Moreover, AR/VR is including gesture and voice recognition and image rendering experiences for differently-abled students with special needs.
- Assessment and Grading – Since every student is dynamic, it is only unfair that everyone comes under the same grading system. But the impossible has been made possible with the inclusion of AI bringing in welcoming changes in the way a student is assessed. With adaptive testing, educators and trainers can now monitor a student’s progress and measure skills beyond the grades they have scored in their academic papers.
- Guidance Systems – The only way to reap the benefits of your years of perseverance and effort is to get the dream job. Here again, talent and recruiting platforms like LinkedIn and Ziprecruiter are suing AI to match a potential candidate with the fitting employers. AI, therefore, is playing an important role in paving rapid pathways to eradicating unemployment.
- Learner Profiles – With AI into the picture, interoperability to support competency management is being aided by extended comparisons of comprehensive profiles formed via grade books and portfolios. Although human reviewers and distributed ledgers will continue to form the chunk, machine learning tools are being used alongside to review larger profiles–both submitted and scraped.
- Practical Mentoring – Connecting the stalwarts and mentors of the industry to the students at the right time is what project-based mentoring is all about. While e-learning brands like Nepris Learning and Educurious have already taken to this kind of online mentoring, several colleges, with the best of names like Oxford and Harvard, are welcoming members from the college alumni associations aboard to work in tandem with the bench of educators.
- Recruiting and Hiring – Although the world moves towards a new dawn of technology, the basic scepter of imparting education rests in the hands of teachers and trainers. To hire the best minds, who can lead the adults of tomorrow onto the right path, institutions are using machine learning for corporate recruiting. For example, Frontline Education is a smart platform that uses analytics to improve the efficiency of recruiting and matching.
- Professional learning – We will never be able to make the most of AI if the educators are not familiar with the applications of AI. The onus here lies with institutional boards and IT companies to prepare teachers as AI instructors by providing them with the required curriculums. Several schools are striking deals with tech moguls like Apple and IBM for teachers’ training programs.
- Cyber and Physical Security – According to a Cisco report, school security professionals are spending more on AI-powered tools to learn to automatically detect unusual patterns within IoT environments with encrypted web traffic. AI is also being used to identify patterns in student behavior that could foreshadow violence. What was started by a Parkland high school student under the #NeverAgainTechproject is now being adopted by many institutes for better AI-driven compilation and analysis of data related to school violence?
- School management – As the number of micro-schools grows in the west along with low-cost private schools in developing countries like Africa and India, the need for a robust school management platform becomes more pressing. With AI and Cloud Technology paired up, administrative tasks like recruitment, collecting and maintaining student information, tacking attendance, and journaling payment have become less tedious and time-consuming.
AI has boundless potential in the education industry. According to a study, it is expected that the application of AI in e-learning will be increased by 49.5%, thus hitting the accelerator on all tools used in schools. The impact will be felt right from the lowest levels of education to the higher grades of learning institutions. AI and machine learning will assist them beyond academics by carving the career paths for today’s young adults, depending on their goals.
So it only makes sense that we start adapting to the digital transformation in the world of e-learning to make the most out AI and build a better future for the world. Cheers!
Author Bio: William Shell a Writer and Enthusiastic blogger. He is also associated with a reputed company for the past couple of years. Here, he delivers quality dissertation help to students on their requests. Besides being an active blogger, he loves to travel around the world.