Today it is hard to imagine your life without being connected to the social media world. In the hub of social activities, a lot of things are available for increasing people’s engagement with the world. While connecting to the world of learning, the impact of social media on education can’t be ignored. The world seems to be smaller because of the use of technology such as social media. For a better understanding of technologies in people’s engagement through social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and many more), you need to expend your views on this track.
When you really want to understand the impact of social media on education, you need to consider both positive and adverse effects. You require to explore your views on what kind of thoughts students have while handling their social media accounts or How are they taking these social activities in their lives. To understand the effects of social networking on students, you also need to consider the long-term effects of social media exposure.
Let’s take an example; with the advancement of technologies, students can take their classes without being present on the same room and it is possible through video presentation platforms or web video conferencing using Skype, Google Hangout, and Duo calls. Because of technologies, the concept of flipped classroom has come into the limelight which changes the method of offering knowledge to peers. Today’s education sector is facing more technologically savvy and eager to produce a great result. The main reason for bringing social media in day to day life is the fulfilment of changing expectations to provide quality education and better career opportunities.
Impacts of Social media on Students
Positive impacts on education
Both effects will count either positive or negative to analyse the impacts of social media on students. Let’s start with the positive influences on learning:
- Helps to increase student collaboration
- More participation in activities
- Resources for useful and meaningful content
- More engagement through teamwork
For more clarification, dig these effects in deep to analyse the impacts effectively.
- Hunger of searching and learning a new chapter in life makes this world smaller. Students always look for new and diverse channels of learning and educating themselves. You will get plenty of data for one topic if you use the internet or any social media platform. This understanding reflects that students are approaching more than one single perspective on what they were born. Now, you don’t need to stick with one class for enhancing or clarifying your thoughts regarding any topic. So, read the information carefully before including in your zest.
- Social media platforms sound perfect when you are working on researching. If you know how to select credible sources for your search. When you are able to distinguish between the right and wrong sources of information, you will able to create effective research. There are plenty of words vibrate on the internet which you need to find out the unimportant stuff and collect what is important. This teaches students how to use search engines for evaluating information and checking their credibility.
- With the help of social media platforms, peers will able to connect with industry experts allowing them to locate more convincing sources of information. To evaluate the source of information when it comes to a hypothetical expert, you need to use some tricky process.
- Working on a team project becomes easy to do when students have social media. With the Facebook groups and using hashtags, you can discuss the project and exchange ideas. Instead of emails, the use of social media provides you a better platform for open conversation and more visible for the instructor to understand the activity and get the idea if the team is partaking.
The above list describes only a few changes brought by social media in the student’s life. There is a combined effect of social media and technology on education which makes it easy to approach.
Negative effect on education
- Access use of social media distracts student’s attention
- No control over incorrect content
- Total depends on social media may hamper your progress
“Every coin has two sides” The same way social media has both effects on education. After reading the positive impacts, time to move towards the negative consequences of any online social activity.
- You may spend much of your time on social media activities. People throw their personal activities, gatherings, celebration or everything run on their lives on platforms such as Facebook or Instagram. Apart from this, you can find many more things on social platforms which takes 5 to 6 hours of your lives that could be productive. Searching and watching videos from Tik-Tok can’t provide speed to your education in any term. It may feel you relax but spending more time could not beneficial.
- You may find some health issues by putting excess attention on the internet. Daily spending much time on social media channels will create health issues such as no sleep till 12, late start of a day, eye problems, headache, anxiety, and many more. You may not feel these effects at the start but you will find on the long term.
- Incapability to think individually. You count this impact on the adverse effect of social media on education. You put your query on any social group and wait for the reply so that you will move forward. This makes you incapable of taking your decision individually. That’s why politicians use social media channels to advertise their campaigns because they find easy to convince people by building pressure from friends and social circle to a particular candidate. You will negative campaigning if you do not vote a person on the bases of his or her work
- We do not care about spelling and grammar while texting on social media platforms. Thus, students could not develop the accuracy in the written word. Incorrect spelling and word flow sound difficult to understand the actual context of the discussion for others, especially when they are communicating with those who are not familiar with the technology.
- Another outcome of social media and technologies is retention. You will find a lot of things on these channels which may not retain information correctly and your search will take more time. The incomplete or incorrect presentation of information is one of the primary drawbacks of using these technologies in education. You can use videos for enhancing your knowledge but you need to check the credibility of information before implementing it.
Impacts of Social media on Career growth
Social media has a totally different impact on your career life. You will have more and better opportunities if you know how to use technology in your progress. Using various mobile applications and websites such as Nakuri.com, Facebook groups, LinkedIn, and etc. you will find more enhanced channels of showing your skills and receive relevant jobs as per your requirements. If you need to boost your career opportunities, connect with the correct service providers and avail the services.
- One of the key advantages of having social media in your bag is that you will have various channels to express your skills and knowledge. This will give you a chance to ask for the right job for better career growth.
- Due to the advancement of the education sector, you will have much information for selecting the right course for future growth. After passing 10 or 12, you will have that much knowledge which helps you to select the right career for you or you can talk to the related person to get the exact details of the course. Because of advancement, people have a lot of sources to start a great career either in the private or public sector.
- Through video conferencing or Skype, you can enhance the experience of distance education. Excel your career even taking education through proper use of social media platforms.
- You will also get fake people or authority which sounds genuine but they don’t in real. Thus, make sure you check the authenticity of the service provider before connecting with any paid service. Don’t throw your money on the wrong hand for the sake of better career opportunities.
You will have both a positive and negative impacts on social media channels in your education and career growth. Now, it is time to think about how will you use these social media platforms to excel your education and future growth.
Alankrita offers study assistance to all those students who looking for an effective Assignment Help to complete their papers. He is specialist in content creation especially for education websites. He also had industry knowledge of programming. If you have doubts regarding any programming concepts, feel free to contact him at any time.